A hearty chicken, barley and pancetta casserole - the unmovable one pan bewilderment to mount up to your midweek menu.
The ingredient of Chicken, barley and pancetta casserole
- 2 tbsp new virgin olive oil
- 2 leeks, cut into 1cm-thick rounds
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 100g pancetta, chopped
- 1kg chicken thighs, trimmed, halved
- 110g (1/2 cup) pearl barley, rinsed
- 2 lighthearted bay leaves
- 1 bunch silverbeet, stems removed, leaves chopped
- 150g (1 cup) frozen baby peas
- 1 lemon, rind finely grated, juiced
- 3 tsp Dijon mustard
The instruction how to make Chicken, barley and pancetta casserole
- Heat 1 tbs oil in a heavy-based flameproof, ovenproof casserole dish exceeding medium-high heat. increase be credited with the leek, garlic and pancetta. Cook, stirring, for 6 minutes or until golden. Transfer to a bowl.
- Heat the permanent 1 tbs oil in the dish exceeding medium-high heat. Season the chicken and cook, in 2 batches, turning, for 4 minutes or until browned. Return the chicken to the dish. accumulate the barley and cook, stirring, for 1 minute, until barley is coated. Add the leek mixture, bay leaves and 1L (4 cups) water. Bring to the boil. edit the heat to low and simmer, covered, for 35 minutes or until the barley is just tender.
- grow the silverbeet, peas, lemon rind and mustard to dish. Simmer, covered, for 5 minutes or until the silverbeet is wilted. Season. go to the lemon juice and mix up to combine.
Nutritions of Chicken, barley and pancetta casserolecalories: 610.406 calories
fatContent: 27 grams fat
saturatedFatContent: 6 grams saturated fat
carbohydrateContent: 27 grams carbohydrates
proteinContent: 56 grams protein